[TUHS] Why BSD didn't catch on more, and Linux did

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 7 11:14:12 AEST 2018

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> At the time a colleague and I had been considering coughing up for the
> BSDi distribution, but found Linux so played with it instead.

It would've been early Linux for me, but some personal issues stopped me
from actually doing it (all I had to do was to collect the box -- a 386 --
that someone else had done for me) otherwise I would've learned to loathe
Penguin/OS that much earlier :-)

As it was, $BOSS paid for my BSDi source licence, and when WinDriver
bought them out and suppressed it I went to FreeBSD instead (after a brief
tangle with some pompous OpenBSD jerks).

FreeBSD is still my main server (an ancient P4 at the moment, with a
massive 512MB of memory; it used to be a Celery w/ 128MB) with MacBook and
Debian clients.  And I really must repair the keyboard on the EeePC 701
(running EeeBuntu) some day...