[TUHS] Why BSD didn't catch on more, and Linux did

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Wed Feb 7 18:04:45 AEST 2018

Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> writes:

> In contrast, during that era, NetBSD and FreeBSD were busily
> quarrelling with each others, with politics and ill-will due to people
> being ejected from the core team which caused the various BSD forks.

Um, I remember this very differently.  The early split between NetBSD
and FreeBSD was a friendly disagreement over whether to continue to be
cross-platform (NetBSD) or go for maximum performance on x86 (FreeBSD).

The only event that fits your description is OpenBSD, which got forked
off because Theo de Raadt's abrasive personality managed to get him
kicked out of the NetBSD core team, and banned from both NetBSD and
FreeBSD mailing list.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay