[TUHS] Why BSD didn't catch on more, and Linux did

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 00:42:36 AEST 2018

On 7 February 2018 at 03:27, Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:
> OS/2 and Windows (including WinNT 3.x) just
> added a pretty-pretty interface. OS/2 was more sophisticated than
> WinNT's because OS/2 expected to share the hard drive with some other
> OS; Microsoft believed it had the computer to itself and is thus not
> as sophisticated - but they're still MS/PC/DR DOS  writ large.

I would disagree with this assessment.  NT's VMS heritage has already
been discussed.  I do not know the heritage of OS/2 but to call it DOS
is simply not true.  (Among other things, OS/2 did an excellent job of
virtualizing dosboxes. We were developing PCMCIA drivers with OS/2 in
dosboxes.  When one crashed, you simply opened up another and
continued.)

N.