[TUHS] Why BSD didn't catch on more, and Linux did

Jon Forrest nobozo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 02:59:36 AEST 2018

On 2/7/2018 7:13 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Well, MIT actually had multiple AT&T Licenses which did *not* have the
> mental contamination clause.

This was also an issue at UC Berkeley, but with Microsoft Windows.
I was working in the Postgres group which Microsoft was very
generously supporting with software. There were discussions about
getting a Windows source license but the CS department didn't
want their people becoming contaminated.

I remember the first time I saw Linux. Ironically it was on the
desktop machine of a guy who was in the BSD developers office.

Jon Forrest