[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Wesley Parish wobblygong at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:35:51 AEST 2018

MS/PC/DR DOS networks used Novell Netware's IPX/SPX suite iirc. Then
IBM and Microsoft came up with NetBIOS and its development NetBEUI, a
simple peer-to-peer network, and MS Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
standardized on that, which meant that most small/er networks
defaulted to NetBEUI.

Then the Internet took off and TCP/IP took over the networking;
NetBEUI survived in the form of Samba as a protocol suite for printer
sharing.

Microsoft had thought it would take over from other public computer
networks like Compuserve with its MSN, but the Internet made all of
them subnets to itself.

Wesley Parish