[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Thu Feb 15 23:23:18 AEST 2018

On 7 Feb 2018, at 01:54, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, certainly "NT Takes Over the World!" didn't happen, and in retrospect it seems somewhat naive that anyone ever thought that it would; let alone that it would put Unix into the grave. But those doomsday predictions seemed very much to be the order of the day.

Sometime around 1994 someone asked me to write a document explaining why Linux (or, perhaps Unix in general) was so much better than NT to make some business case.  I got a copy of NT (3.x) and an NT design book (I'm not sure which one but there probably only was one at the time), read the book and declined to write the article, because I thought that NT would probably win, much to my dismay.  I think my reasoning was that people would care about security and NT actually had a security architecture which Unix really didn't.

Obviously I should have taken the money.

--tim