[TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Feb 16 03:32:46 AEST 2018

Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
 |On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
 |>> His name is pronounced "vurt"
 |>
 |> Maybe some English speakers pronounce it like that.  In German it's,
 |> well, "Wirth".  English speakers might write it as "veart", where the
 |> "ea" is as in the word "hear" or "fear".
 |
 |I wasn't giving a pedantic pronunciation lesson; as you pointed out, there
 |is no direct English equivalent.  Hell, the English even pronounce words
 |differently in different counties (and I should know).

Just to add that (Gast)"Wirt"h is an innkeeper, and on the
Nikolaus-Day children place shoes in front of their doors so that
Nikolaus can put something in (chocolade!, for example).
But if you would speak "e" just like "ea" than "Wert"h would
surely be "Worth" it, too.

I want to affiliate to the colony of thankful who appreciate your
messages.  Unfortunately i started collecting them just a few
months ago and thus missed quite a lot of them.

--steffen