[TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Feb 16 06:56:31 AEST 2018

Ian Zimmerman <itz at very.loosely.org> wrote:
 |On 2018-02-15 18:32, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> I want to affiliate to the colony of thankful who appreciate your
 |> messages.  Unfortunately i started collecting them just a few months
 |> ago and thus missed quite a lot of them.
 |
 |Not to worry, you'll catch up within a year or so :-P

Well, maybe not.  And then i have an incomplete archive.

 |Birthdays and Yahrzeits are strange things to observe.

No, i think here you are mistaken.  Likely only so if you are
either young or moved away from the natural world.  I can assure
you the remains of biodiversity here where i live currently has
a very strong notion of the Jahreszeit.

 |OB-Unix: when did the "message of the day" mechanism make it into our
 |favorite system?

I do not run a BSD system daily at the moment, my own calendar
file is thus unused for a while.  Maybe i should write an awk
script or so to have it portably available.
But still an automated mail by script is something different than
spending a minute to write an email to a list.  I mean, you can
use a drone to deliver flowers to your girl friend, or you can
pretty up yourself and bring it in person.  That is something
very, totally, completely different.  And that reminds me of
a film with hrhrm Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock some
decades ago which joked with that exact difference.

--steffen