[TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Feb 16 11:06:59 AEST 2018

The whole reason VM was developed at UCB was because Ernie (the original) Vax was funded to develop the ability to port MacLisp and more importantly Macsyma from ITS.
V32’s static address space was not going to work.

Btw the program we used to debug the VM system on the original mc500 was macsyma’s competition, sms (which would later become wolfram).

In both cases the idea was to ensure the memory system was being exercised.

Clem

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.