[TUHS] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Fri Feb 16 12:56:59 AEST 2018

I tried to hire an engineer in the 1990s. She came to the interview
with her (probably over-controlling) father who was the founder of the
two person consulting company she'd been working for. They coded a
huge traffic-light management system entirely in LISP. Major stuff.

>From memory, we offered but I think daddy didn't like the way we
behaved, she didn't accept. I think she was an incredibly good
programmer. Really smart, competent. It was my first clue that out in
the "real world" (I was working in a university) you could code in
LISP and sell solutions that ran things like traffic lights: People
die if you get that wrong. Awesome. (it's equally likely we didn't
offer, being stupid)