[TUHS] Do Interface specifications such POSIX or the LSB Still Matter

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Feb 17 01:12:12 AEST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM, George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org> wrote:

> once you have virtualized OS support embedded in a wrap like docker
> why do you need the definition of the sysctl() calls as a spec?

​Maybe -- HPC folks use UNIX/Linux but really don't want an OS between the
HW and their application.
And its not just the *.1 style system functions.   Think SPEC1170 where we
discovered 1170 difference interfaces, database file etc... that ISV had to
know about to deal with a 'UNIX' application.​  And that was before we had
things like fabric and messaging.

Within the >>Linux<< (which 'never forked' like UNIX did) the test matrix
is still huge for an ISV these days.

> LSB sort of works. Sort of.

agreed - hence my question.  But is sort of RHish and its not clear it
being maintained because people don't care.

ᐧ