[TUHS] Do Interface specifications such POSIX or the LSB Still Matter

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Feb 17 01:19:37 AEST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:45 PM, David Arnold <davida at pobox.com> wrote:

> is there really still a market for commercially-licensed installable
> software packages?  The set of things that cannot be delivered via the web,
> and are not available as Free/Open Source is ever-shrinking.

​I agree with the later, but for the folks that have traditionally made a
market in the former (think commercial HPC - geo science, mech-e cad,
financial, chemistry, etc..) - they have codes [often in Fortran] and years
and year of data that those codes have been used to create an validate.

Ever-shrinking is right, but those folks have very valuable (billions of
dollars) invested in that data and their businesses behind them.   The code
they use is proprietary and closed.

As I said in another message, the test matrix for the folks that develop
that code got unwieldy.

Containers is the only alternative I have seen so far that might solve
this, but .... that same folks don't like no stinking OS between their app
and the HW, so using virtualization technology to solve a problem is
usually a no-no.

Thanks again,
Clem
ᐧ