[TUHS] EOF on pipes?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 25 07:33:58 AEST 2018

Many years ago (when the dinosaurs were using V6), I had a crazy idea[*]
that a write(fd, 0, NULL) would somehow signal EOF to the reader i.e. a
subsequent read would wait for further data instead of ENOTOBACCO.

Did any *nix ever implement that?  I have no idea how it would be done.

[*]

I was full of crazy ideas then, such as extending stty() to an arbitrary
device and was told by the anti-CSU mob that it was a stupid idea...