[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 27, Issue 60

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 00:45:33 AEST 2018

Re: RIP Claude Shannon

> Never heard of Claude Shannon. So a good opportunity to do some
> searching reading to 'catch up'.

Shannon did some amazing work. My field is Information science and without Shannon, it would be a dull field indeed. His masters thesis laid out an elegant use of digital logic for switching systems that we take for granted today, his mathematical theory of communication, while dense, is foundational - ever heard of a bit?, and he actually loved juggling so much he created a juggling machine - what’s not to love? :) All that said, he was also in the right place at the right time and was surrounded by genius.

Will