[TUHS] OT: Grace Hopper, Unix epoch, ARPAnet converted to TCP/IP

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jan 1 08:51:57 AEST 2018

Some interesting historical stuff today...

We lost Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Hopper USN (Retd) in 1992; there's not much
more than can be said about her, but I will mention that she received
(posthumously) the Presidential Medal of Honor in 2016.

As every Unix geek knows, today is the anniversary of The Epoch[tm] back
in 1970, and at least one nosey web site thinks that that is my birthdate
too...

And according to my notes, the ARPAnet got converted from NCP to TCP/IP in
1983; do any greybeards here have a more precise date?