[TUHS] OT: critical Intel design flaw

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Thu Jan 4 06:24:40 AEST 2018

On Jan 3, 2018, at 10:27 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I have personally hoped that something like L4/seL4 with a clean UNIX/Plan9-ish style upper layer might some day be the thing that really wins.   Maybe be written in something else - Rust/Go/Kotlin whatever ...   But I suspect that will happen long after I'm gone.

It may be sooner than you think. Now it is much harder to
produce faster processors than to produce processors with
larger and larger number of cores.  For most tasks not *all*
of these cores have to work in tandem -- more likely you will
run a set of loosely coupled diverse tasks on such a machine.
In this scenario it is not clear to me that centralized OSes
like like unix/windows can use these cores efficiently. Not
even plan9 will do well. In the "cloud" we have already given
up on such centralization (though present solutions seem
clunky and inefficient).

IMHO what we need a much more composable architecture. In
Barrelfish, a research OS based on L4, each core has its own
ukernel that can be independently brought up. This may be a
direction worth exploring[1]. If done right + an orchestration
protocol can provide the basis for clean, secure, scalable
and resilient distributed systems.

> We keep reinventing the great work Ken, Dennis and Team did years ago and sadly not really doing a good job of learning from our mistakes.

a) Actually we don't reinvent their work -- we just keep
   fiddling at the edges!
b) IMHO their work is better thought of as a compositional
   architecture or service protocol. That is, in a ukernel
   arch., different user processes can implement different
   Unix "system call" protocols. There is no reason to stuff
   all that in a single "kernel". This model actually fits
   in with what you said (L4/seL4 with a clean UNIX/Plan9-ish
   style upper layer).

[1] My real bias is that even ukernels shouldn't exist! That
is, the very core OS function of thread and protection switch
should be done in h/w via a few instructions. The *policy* of
this is implemented in s/w. Then an OS is just a (set of)
shared libraries and a set of initial services. Thinking this
way, it is clear that a ukernel is merely implementing this
model in s/w and it makes perfect sense for each core to have
its own emulation layer!

None of above has anything to do with the "intel design flow".