[TUHS] OT: American Culture

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jan 5 02:48:48 AEST 2018

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> A thing that nobody has mentioned, and for which I can't find a
> reference easily: didn't System V have time zone offsets the wrong way
> round?  I have some recollection from about 1988.

It's enshrined in POSIX but I believe it goes back earlier than that.
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/tzset.html

As I understand it, POSIX TZ offsets are the wrong way round because it
was more convenient to omit the sign on the TZ offsets, and because Unix
comes from America that meant no sign -> west, negative -> east.

Tony.
Rockall, Malin: Cyclonic, becoming mainly northeast later , 5 to 7, increasing
gale 8 or severe gale 9 later in Rockall. Very rough or high. Rain or showers.
Moderate or poor, occasionally good.