[TUHS] OT: critical Intel design flaw

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Fri Jan 5 03:10:14 AEST 2018

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:03:09AM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> > ​You need to add >>and that he knew about and had access<<.
> >
> > The truth is there was and it had networking and X windows already.  Bill
> > Jolitz had completed the original 386 BSD port (and actually started to
> > publish about it in DDJ).
>
> How real was it in June 1991, when he demo'ed it in Usenix Anaheim?
> Was it at the level of a "MIT Media Lab demo", or was it actually
> something that could be used in anger?
>
> The official history states that 386 BSD version 0.0 was released in
> March 1992, and the "much more usable" 0.1 version was released in
> July 1992.
>
> The biggest problem with Jolitz's work seems to have been more social
> than anything else.  The writeups from that era seem to indicate that
> the Jolitz's wanted to keep a much tighter control over things, and
> this discouraged collaboration and contributions, which led to the
> first of *BSD fragmentation/spin-offs, starting with FreeBSD and
> NetBSD.
>
> Contrast that to Linus, where I started playing with Linux in
> September 1991 (Linux 0.09), and in three months he accepted fairly
> major patches from me to implement all of the new syscalls and changes
> needed to implement POSIX Job Control and POSIX termios (Linux 0.12).
> The Linux developers were not spending time fighting over who would
> get commit bits; we were having fun writing code.
>
>                                                  - Ted

My understanding is that initially Linux project was much simpler
and minimalistic than BSD, which in the late 80s was already a very bloated
O/S as compared to UNIX V6/V7.  And it was also one of the reasons some
folks preferred it.  It was kind of like moving back in time to times of
hacking on V6 for new generation of hackers.  Pure fun.  Minimalism is what
initially brought me to Unix.

Of course today Linux is as bloated Windows, thats why some people prefer
to hack on simpler projects like FUZIX (Alan Cox).

--Andy