[TUHS] OT: critical Intel design flaw

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Jan 5 04:29:59 AEST 2018

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:17:40 -0800 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
Larry McVoy writes:

> I dunno what "used in anger" means but it worked.  I used it.  I know
> Joltiz pretty well, he worked for me around this time period.  I hired
> him just to give him some money, he had gotten sort of screwed by the
> in crowd in the BSD/Usenix world, I didn't see that as reasonable.

Not part of any in crowd but I am curious.  How was Jolitz
"screwed by the in crowd in the BSD/Usenix world"?

I got 38BSD on a set of floppies from someone in 92 or 93  -
can't remember - and I recall meeting Jolitz at some meetup
back then.  At the time I was using a Sun 3/50 (BSD) & a
Fortune Box (V7) but promptly bought a 386 box (with a full
16MB of memory) and installed 386bsd. I also played with
linux-0.11 but I recall reading something about Linus using
SysV as a reference and that was the end of my interest in
linux! Also because 386BSD was already available and did what
I wanted. Later BSD splits were distressing but so it goes.