[TUHS] OT: critical Intel design flaw

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Jan 5 07:17:40 AEST 2018

On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:29:59AM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
>> 16MB of memory) and installed 386bsd. I also played with
>> linux-0.11 but I recall reading something about Linus using
>> SysV as a reference and that was the end of my interest in
>> linux!
>
> As far as I know that was never true.  We used used POSIX as a
> reference mainly because it was more easily available as a
> specification.  So that meant that we implemented termios support, and
> not termio, or the BSD variant.  The networking layer was all BSD
> sockets; we certainly never implemented STREAMS, for goodness sake!  :-)

I remember sysV coming up in connection with Linux....
Ok, found it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.os.minix/linus$201991%7Csort:date/comp.os.minix/3dSbdErXdUc/uoBUzk9NEEsJ

1. WHAT IS LINUX 0.11
  LINUX 0.11 is a freely distributable UNIX clone.  It implements a
subset of System V and POSIX functionality.
2. LINUX features
  - System call compatible with a subset of System V and POSIX
8. FUTURE PLANS
     - STREAMS

The only mention of BSD is WRT pmake.