[TUHS] RIP John Mauchly

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jan 8 11:07:38 AEST 2018

We lost a co-inventor of ENIAC, John Mauchly, on this day (that's 8th
January like my headers say) in 1980.  ENIAC is claimed to be the "first
general purpose electronic digital computer", but I guess it comes down to
a matter of definition[*], as every culture likes to be the "first" (just
ask the Penguins, for example); for "computer" you could go all the way
back to the Mk-I Antikythera (Hellenic variation, from about the 100BC
production run)...

[*]
Analogue/digital/hybrid
Mechanical/electrical/electronic/hybrid