[TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Jan 10 23:23:26 AEST 2018

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com>
wrote:

> Things like this don't really occur in one day [1]  "Unix was born in
> 1969 not 1974" - dmr
>
> Is it fair to say 1/1/1970 is the spiritual christening and the day to
> celebrate?

Christians also do not know the _exact_ year when Jesus was born, but they
arbitrary chose the date as the start of their Epoch.

The Roman calendar before was counted ab urbe condita (from the foundation
of the city, i.e., Rome) in 753 BC, so that year was the start of their
Epoch.

I think it is fair to say that our calendar started on 1/1/1970, and not
because UNIX was born on that day, but because that day was chosen
arbitrary by the Fathers of UNIX.

We, as UNIX disciples, should start counting our calendar starting with the
UNIX Epoch, so we have 48 and not 2018 now...

--Andy