[TUHS] Happy birthday, C.A.R. Hoare!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Jan 11 11:24:15 AEST 2018

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, Nemo wrote:

> Certainly agree with your opinion of Hoare but did the "W" in ALGOLW not
> stand for Wirth?

Dunno, but according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_W we have:

``ALGOL W is a programming language. It is based on a proposal for ALGOL X
   by Niklaus Wirth and Tony Hoare as a successor to ALGOL 60 in IFIP
   Working Group 2.1.''

It was a brilliant language, and it got me hooked on structural
programming etc; hitherto my knowledge was confined to BASIC (shudder) and
FORTRAN (double shudder).  And then SNOBOL blew my mind, and PL/I, and
PL/360, and Pascal, and...