[TUHS] Happy birthday, John Lions!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Jan 19 08:44:10 AEST 2018

Dr. Prof. John Lions was born on this day in 1937; I had the pleasure of
having him as one of my Computer Science lecturers in the early 70s, and
he drilled into us the Principle of Least Astonishment (or POLA), better
known as "why the fsck did it do that?" (but he was far too genteel to
express it that way).  And yes, that's my name in the credits; I helped
with the proof-reading and provided the use of the high-quality printer in
the CSU.

You are not expected to understand this.