[TUHS] Rivers, the ragged right, and BCPL roff (was: Spooky action at a distance in line adjustment...sometimes)

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Mon Jul 2 09:20:23 AEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:23:57PM -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>I edited the v7 manual and I believe I proofread every man page. How
>could I have overlooked the misbehavior of the .li request*, which was
>even then not in the reference manual's list of n/troff requests?
>doug
>
>* .li causes the next line to be read literally, even if it begins
>with a dot.

Slightly Unix related, .li is in the version of roff which I wrote in
a C-like language for the PDP-7 version of Unix:

  https://github.com/DoctorWkt/h-compiler/blob/master/roff/wktroff.c
  https://github.com/DoctorWkt/h-compiler/blob/master/roff/roff_manual
  https://github.com/DoctorWkt/h-compiler

Cheers, Warren