[TUHS] Speaking commands [Was: Bell System Technical Journal archive]

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:33:37 AEST 2018

On 15/07/2018, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote (in part):
> Also:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTfOnGZUZDk
>
> Where GREP Came From - Computerphile (with Brian Kernighan)

I was intrigued by BMK's comment that "ed" was never spokend as "ed"
by "those in the know", which leads me to wonder how things were
spoken.  Here is a litte list of how I pronounce things [with others'
versions in brackets].  Others will no doubt be aghast.

ls - "list" sometimes "l s";
rm - "remove";
chmod - "change mode" [but I have heard "ch-mode"]
ar - "archive" [others have said "arrr"]

N.