[TUHS] Any Good dmr Anecdotes?

Hendrik Jan Thomassen hjt at ATComputing.nl
Wed Jul 18 19:42:19 AEST 2018

Several decades ago, Jim Joyce of San Francisco was one of the
more colorful chaps in the UNIX scene. Among other ventures he
had "The Independent UNIX Bookstore", and during Usenix conferences
he would rent a nearby hotel suite to sell his books to the
conference attendants. Jim once told me the following story (yes,
the topic is about dmr anecdotes).

One day a young man came to the hotel suite and asked, in a
somewhat exaggerated voice, "the best book to learn C programming".
Jim pointed at a gentleman in a nearby armchair, reading, and said:
"ask that gentleman because he knows everything there is to know
about C". So the young man approached said gentleman, and repeated
his question. The answer he got was: "Sorry, I can't help you,
because I never had to learn C". Which left the young man flabbergasted.

--
Hendrik-Jan Thomassen     <hjt at ATComputing.nl>
AT Computing              Linux opleiders & consultants

'If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.'