[TUHS] grep

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu Jul 19 03:13:52 AEST 2018

I was always told g/re/p as in g(lobally) apply r(egular) e(xpression)
and p(rint) was a backronym which reflected the regex commonalities of
sed/awk/grep/ed/ex/vi (ok, the latter two of course eggregiously
offend because its Bill Joy exoticism, but I think by now we can
accept some of the pauline epistles have later authors and are still
held to be useful...

I like the linguistic moment here. AWKward language? No. Not at all.
sqwawk came to mind. and roff, as a simpler runoff, also seems to find
how people take english and mogrify it to make new things.

-G