[TUHS] ar libraries [was: Speaking commands [Was: Bell System Technical Journal archive]]

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Jul 19 14:59:09 AEST 2018

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 at 11:39:30 -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> "John P. Linderman" <jpl.jpl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess it [ar] lives on in the creation of "libraries" that could be
>> loaded by compilers, although I think shared objects have largely replaced
>> archive files, and I'm not sure if archive files are even accepted any more.
>
> Archive files (static libraries) are alive and well and work just fine,
> on Linux and every other *nix that I know about. The format is even
> used on Windows for static libraries and for whatever you call them when
> linking dynamic libraries (they provide the symbols, but not the dll).

This has been the case for FreeBSD too for as long as I can recall.  I
thought it was the case for all .a libraries.

  $ uname -a
  FreeBSD eureka.lemis.com 10.2-STABLE FreeBSD 10.2-STABLE #2 r290972: Wed Nov 25 11:38:38 AEDT 2015     grog at stable.lemis.com:/usr/obj/eureka/home/src/FreeBSD/svn/10/sys/GENERIC  amd64
  $ file /usr/lib/libc.a
  /usr/lib/libc.a: current ar archive