[TUHS] Speaking commands [Was: Bell System Technical Journal archive]

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Sat Jul 21 09:01:01 AEST 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:39:20AM -0400, John P. Linderman wrote:
> Interesting that of all the commands mentioned, ar is (at least for
me) no
> longer used (although I haven't used ed in many years).

".deb" packages (used by Debian and Ubuntu linuxes) are a header file
and two .tar.gz files packed into ar format.  ar(1) is widely used to
unscrew Debian packages on systems without dpkg tools installed.  So,
while it might not be be doing the same job, it retains some currency
in the land of linux.

khm