[TUHS] core

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Jun 16 09:22:22 AEST 2018

>> This story repets itself over and over again, though: one of the Watson's
>> saying there was a probably market for <single-digit> of computers; Ken
>> Olsen saying people wouldn't want computers in their homes; etc, etc.
>
> I seem to recall reading somewhere that these were urban myths...  Does
> anyone have actual references in their contexts?
>
> E.g. Watson was talking about the multi-megabuck 704/709/7094 etc, and I
> think that Olsens's quote was about the DEC-System 10...

At the time, those were the only computers out there.  The "personal
computer" was the myth of the day.  Go back and look at the prices IBM and
DEC were charging for their gear.  Even in the modern context, that
hardware was more expensive than the rediculously inflated prices of
housing in Vancouver.

--lyndon