[TUHS] core

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jun 16 23:11:17 AEST 2018

And I believe at the time, KO was commenting in terms of Bell’s  ‘minimal computer’ definition (the ‘mini’ - aka 12 bit systems) of the day -DEC’s PDP-8 not the 10.  IIRC The 8 pretty much had a base price in the $30k range in the mid to late 60s.  FWIW the original 8 was discrete bipolar (matched) transistors built with DEC flip chips. And physically about 2or3 19” relay racks in size.  Later models used TTL and got down to a single 3U ‘drawer.’

Clem

Also please remember that originally, mini did not mean small.  That was a computer press redo when the single chip, ‘micro’ computers, came to being in the mid 1970s

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.