[TUHS] core

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Jun 17 00:10:24 AEST 2018

Thanks, I thought it was  about 10 years earlier.   It means that the 16
bit systems were  definitely the norm and the 32 bit system were well under
design and the micros already birthed.  That said, as I pointed out in my
paper last summer, in 1977, a PDP-11 that was able to run UNIX (11/34 with
max memory) ran between $50-150K depending how it was configured and an
11/70 was closer to $250K.   To scale, In 2017 dollars, we calculated that
comes to $208K/$622K/$1M and as I also pointed out, a graduate researcher
in those days cost about $5-$10K per year.

ᐧ