[TUHS] core

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:53:36 AEST 2018

If I read the wikipedia entry for Whirlwind correctly (not a safe
assumption), it was tube based, and I think there was a tradeoff of speed,
as determined by power, and tube longevity. Given the purpose, early
warning of air attack, speed was vital, but so, too, was keeping it alive.
So a means of finding a "sweet spot" was really a matter of national
security. I can understand Forrester's pride in that context.