[TUHS] core

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jun 22 03:40:35 AEST 2018

    > From: Tim Bradshaw

    > There is a paper, by Flowers, in the Annals of the History of Computing
    > which discusses a lot of this. I am not sure if it's available online

Yes:

  http://www.ivorcatt.com/47c.htm

(It's also available behind the IEEE pay-wall.) That issue of the Annals (5/3)
has a couple of articles about Colossus; the Coombs one on the design is
available here:

  http://www.ivorcatt.com/47d.htm

but doesn't have much on the reliability issues; the Chandler one on
maintenance has more, but alas is only available behind the paywall:

  https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/an/1983/03/man1983030260-abs.html

Brian Randell did a couple of Colossus articles (in "History of Computing in
the 20th Century" and "Origin of Digital Computers") for which he interviewed
Flowers and others, there may be details there too.

	Noel