[TUHS] off-topic list

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Jun 23 05:25:05 AEST 2018

Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote in <b6ef82de-739a-ed8e-0e91-3abfa2fb5f07 at spa\
mtrap.tnetconsulting.net>:
 |On 06/22/2018 09:17 AM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> I understood that as a request that people seem to have forgotten that
 |> a new thread is created, actually.  Or take me: i seem to never have
 |> learned that at first!
 |
 |I agree that removing In-Reply-To and References is a good thing to do
 |when breaking a thread.  But not all MUAs make that possible, much less
 |easy.  Which means that you're left with starting a new message to the
 |same recipients.

True, but possible since some time, for the thing i maintain, too,
unfortunately.  It will be easy starting with the next release,
however.

 |I've also seen how (sub)threads tend to drift from their original intent
 |and then someone modifies the subject some time later.

Yes.  Yes.  And then, whilst not breaking the thread stuff as
such, there is the "current funny thing to do", which also impacts
thread visualization sometimes.  For example replacing spaces with
tabulators so that the "is the same thread subject" compression
cannot work, so one first thinks the subject has really changed.
At the moment top posting seems to be a fascinating thing to do.
And you seem to be using DMARC, which irritates the list-reply
mechanism of at least my MUA.

--steffen