[TUHS] off-topic list

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Sat Jun 23 06:55:20 AEST 2018

On Jun 22, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2018, at 15:54, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Try mutt, it's what I use and it threads topics just fine.
>
> The trouble is I have > 10 years of mail sitting in the OSX mail system and although I could probably export it all (it at least used to be relatively straightforward to do this) the sheer terror of doing that is, well, terrifying because there's a lot of stuff in there that matters.

At least on my Mac messages seem to be stored one per file.
Attachments are stored separately. Doesn't seem hard to figure out.
You can periodically rsync to a different place and experiment.

> Using the system-provided mail tool was a stupid decision, and one I managed to avoid with the browser &c, but it's too late now.

There is not much available that is decent.I too use Apple Mail
but also have a separate MH store that goes way back. MH is great
for bulk operations but not for viewing MIME infested mail or
simple things like attaching documents. What I really want is a
combined MUA.

> (Now this is an off-topic discussion from a discussion about off-topicness.)

meta-meta-meta!