[TUHS] off-topic list

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jun 26 03:37:16 AEST 2018

Ah ... Makes sense.  MMDF was possibly my favorite Unix MTA.   We shipped
it as Masscomp's default Mail System for a longtime.   It was only after I
left that they broken down and switched to sendmail to be like Sun and much
of the rest of the internet.

It's Interesting, MMDF had a child, PMDF (the rewrite in Pascal) which
became the the default Mailer for a lot of VMS systems, particularly ones
that had IP connections.  I know of no one still running MMDF at this point
(even me), but I do know of a couple of folks running PMDF.  A few years
ago, I gave up on MMDF and switched to Bornstien's QMAIL because of DNS
issues.    In many ways, MMDF and QMAIL are a lot alike in the way they
work under the covers, but to give Bornstien credit he had really walked
through QMAIL doing a security audit and I was unwilling to take the time
to do that for MMDF; and I knew that any MTA on the internet had to be
hardenned.  I'm sure MMDF could be attacked with stack overwrites and
strcpy(3) style attacks because when Crocker wrote it, that was not what
was being considered.
ᐧ