[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Jun 27 07:16:56 AEST 2018

On 6/26/2018 3:01 PM, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> I’m not sure I buy his arguments.
I was going to say it was total and complete BS, at least based on the
quoted statement in the initial email. But I decided not to send it. ;)

I wrote a POSIX thread based queuing system a few years back that could
handle thousands of threads on a dual processor SPARC-10 before it just
completely locked up Solaris (I think 9). It was targeted at larger
systems, and it could easily scale as far as I wanted it to.

While you could argue that pthreads are not "C", the language was quite
happy doing what I asked of it.

Sometimes, I wonder... Programmers are supposed to be smarter than the
language. Not the other way around.

art k.