[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Wed Jun 27 10:11:21 AEST 2018

On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:33 PM, Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:

> David Chisnall is known for pushing Go as a next generation C.  He even wrote a book about it.  I think he has a point in saying that Go was created as direct remedy to many things in C.  Most of it features come from decades of experience working with C, and seeing ways in which it can be improved.

I primarily write code in Go these days and like it a lot (as
a "better" C) but I am not sure it will have C's longevity.
It still uses a flat shared memory model. This is harder and
harder for hardware to emulate efficiently (and comes with
more complexity) at smaller and smaller minimum feature sizes
and higher & higher CPU clock rates & on-chip comm speeds. We
need something other than a better C to squeeze maximum
performance out of a CPU built out of 100s to 1000s of cores.