[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Jun 27 18:30:06 AEST 2018

On 26 Jun 2018, at 23:20, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> With new attacks like TLBleed etc. it is becoming increasingly clear that
> caching (hidden memory to continue with the illusion of a simple memory
> model) itself is a potential security issue. I didn't think anything the
> author said was particularly controversial any more. A lot of processor
> evolution seems to have been to accommodate C's simple memory model.

That's the strangest thing to see: *why do people think the point he's making is in any way controversial*, because it's so obvious.

(But then I'm also annoyed by the paper because I've been talking about 'giant PDP-11s' for a long time and now he's stolen (obviously not stolen: independently come up with) my term, pretty much.)