[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jun 29 00:55:38 AEST 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 07:40:17 -0700 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 10:15:38AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > And the Market spoke.  And shortly thereafter, Java fell under the
> > control of Oracle....  And Intel would proceed to further
> > dominate the landscape.
>
> Yep.  Lots of cpus are nice when doing a parallel make but there is
> always some task that just uses one cpu.  And then you want the
> fastest one you can get.  Lots of wimpy cpus is just, um, wimpy.

And yet, there are few single core devices I can buy any more other
than embedded processors. Even the $35 Raspberry Pis are now four core
machines, and I'm sure they'll be eight core devices soon.

If you want a single core Unix machine, you need to buy the $5
Raspberry Pi Zero, which is the only single core Unix box I still can
think of on the market.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com