[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jun 29 05:42:46 AEST 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 07:56:09 -0700 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > Huge numbers of wimpy cores is the model already dominating the
> > world.
>
> Got a source that backs up that claim?  I was recently dancing with
> Netflix and they don't match your claim, nor do the other content
> delivery networks, they want every cycle they can get.

Netflix has how many machines? I'd say in general that principle
holds: this is the age of huge distributed computation systems, the
most you can pay for a single core before it tops out is in the
hundreds of dollars, not in the millions like it used to be. The high
end isn't very high up, and we scale by adding boxes and cores, not
by getting single CPUs that are unusually fast.

Taking the other way of looking at it, from what I understand,
CDN boxes are about I/O and not CPU, though I could be wrong. I can
ask some of the Netflix people, a former report of mine is one of the
people behind their front end cache boxes and we keep in touch.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com