[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jun 29 07:07:05 AEST 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 16:52:26 -0400 Lawrence Stewart
<stewart at serissa.com> wrote:
> Some weird stuff gets built for CDNs!  We had a real-time video
> transcoding project at Quanta using Tilera chips to do transcoding
> on demand for retrofitting systems in China with millions of old
> cable boxes.  Not I/O limited at all!  There was a <lot> of I/O but
> still more computing.

Of course, Tilera is a many core architecture, so again, I think
this supports the original point, which is we're now in the parallel
and distributed age, and that demands software design techniques to
match. (Indeed, If I Recall Correctly, the guys at MIT that designed
the original Tilera stuff are now looking at building 1000 core
devices.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com