[TUHS] please ignore this message

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Jun 29 22:54:12 AEST 2018

John P. Linderman wrote in <CAC0cEp-p2cnhXd37msaRCazMacNXHnM3CEe98vSvzUw\
2cpd9cw at mail.gmail.com>:
 |With gmail, both attachments showed just (constant-width) single-line \
 |names of the attachments, "junk.txt" and "junk.diff" (without the quotes).
 |
 |On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Doug McIlroy <[1]doug at cs.dartmouth.edu[\
 |/1]> wrote:
 |
 |  [1] mailto:doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
 |
 ||This tests a guess about anomalous behavior of the
 ||mailing-list digest. I apologize for inflicting it
 ||on everybody.
 |
 ||Doug

Both attachments where declared as text/plain, only the filename
differed.  This is possibly not what Doug McIlroy wanted to test.

Mr. Doug McIlroy, in order to convince your version of Heirloom
mailx to create the correct MIME type for .diff files you need to
provide a mime.types(5) file, as in

  echo 'text/x-diff diff patch' >> ~/.mime.types

It will also find this in /etc/mime.types.
(And i think there may also be a difference in the TUHS mailman
instance or configuration, as opposed to the GNU managed one that
drives the groff list.  I suppose you referred to the problem of
the groff digest you are reading.)

--steffen