[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

emanuel stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Sat Jun 30 01:43:50 AEST 2018

On 2018-06-28 12:45, Paul Winalski wrote:
> On 6/28/18, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:

> Parallel programming *is* hard for humans.  Very few people can cope
> with it, or with the nasty bugs that crop up when you get it wrong.

I'm not sure about it. Look how many processes/threads(?) some hardware
guys program in VHDL/Verilog at a time, how many of those run in
different clocking domains, parallel and the stuff works.

I think it is just a matter to get used to thinking this way ...

>> The problem is that not all people are interested in solving problems
>> which are amenable to embarassingly parallel algorithms.
>
> Most interesting problems in fact are not embarrassingly parallel.
> They tend to have data interdependencies.
>
> There have been some advancements in software development tools to
> make parallel programming easier.  Modern compilers are getting pretty
> good at loop analysis to discover opportunities for parallel execution
> and vectorization in sequentially-written code.

I was actually just musing about this, but we have multi-threaded
architectures, we have languages which would support this.

Probably we are just missing the problems, we would like to solve with it?

;-)