[TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Jun 30 05:07:42 AEST 2018

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:01:09 -0700 Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Well welcome to the old farts club, I'll cut you some slack :)
> I still think you are missing the point I was trying to make,
> it's amusing, a bit, that you are preaching what you are to me
> as a guy who moved Sun in that direction.  I'm not at all against
> your arguments, I was just making a different point.

I think we may be mostly talking past each other. To me, the
underlying question began at the start of this thread (see the
subject which we should have changed a long time ago): "is there any
benefit to new sorts of programming languages to deal with the modern
multiprocessor world".

I think we're now at the point where dealing with fleets of
processors is the norm, and on the languages side, I think Erlang was
a good early exemplar on that, and now that we have Rust I think the
answer is a definitive "yes". Go's CSP stuff is clearly also intended
to address this. Having language support so you don't have to handle
concurrent and parallel stuff all on your own is really nice.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com