[TUHS] RIP John Backus

Mike Markowski mike.ab3ap at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 05:28:25 AEST 2018

On 03/17/2018 09:43 AM, Clem Cole wrote:>
> [...]  But Fortran has a place and it still pays my and
> many of our salaries (and I happen to know it paid the salary if a
> number of folks on this list and I think, like me still does).
> [...]
As something sorta, kinda like a proof by contradiction, I work in an RF
lab.  A fair amount of effort is put into writing code to control lab
gear to automate data collection, reach confidence level, etc.

For one project the customer required that it be written in Java.  Most
RF lab gear and radios use I/Q (in-phase/quadrature) signals and the
associated math is complex.  Try doing complex DSP in Java and you will
soon sing the praises of Fortran where it's a snap.  :-)

Mike Markowski