[TUHS] RIP John Backus

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Mar 20 01:55:00 AEST 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> "This is believed to be the first complete Fortran 77 system to be
> implemented." (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plan9-bell-labs/7thEdMan/vol2/f77.
> txt)

​Question to Steve or aps -- certainly V7's version could not pass the
validation test as distributed from AT&T and UCB (at Masscomp we actually
ran the validation suite through it in the our 4.1 Vax -- we decided it was
going to be too much work and we had started over with new front and back
ends  when we created a compiler group with ex-DECies - C and Fortran being
the primary).  But I assume at some time folks in Summit did the work on
making the AT&T version pass at least by the timer PCC2.  Assuming it did,
do you have any idea when it was running through and got an official seal
as being validated?

ᐧ