[TUHS] RIP John Backus

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Mar 20 03:48:45 AEST 2018

6th edition had fc <http://man.cat-v.org/unix-6th/1/fc> but it would not
take a standard F4 (or F2) deck to my knowledge. It may have been in 5th
also.   It was pretty limited.  As I said, I remember one of the arguments
for why not UNIX in the EE Dept was the lack of a 'proper' Fortran
implementation.

I remember an an early attempt at f2c in those days [which I think came
from UMich], but it did not work much better than fc itself as it was a
subset language. FYI: f2c was much later (I want to say 82-83ish and post
f77).  But it was what Ted and I used to start to convert advent to C for
the UNIX, so that was pre V7 and must have been 76ish.

Clem
ᐧ